Tie dye is more than just a way to color your clothes – it’s a creative expression of your personality and style. Tie dye is easy to do, too! Whether you want to make a statement with bold rainbow swirls or keep it subtle with soft ombre shades, tie dyeing your sweatshirt can transform it from plain to fabulous. Learn how to tie dye a sweatshirt with these 20 unique tie dye sweatshirt patterns by folding and tying the fabric in different ways.
There are endless options for tie dye sweatshirt patterns and folding techniques. You can create different designs by folding, twisting, scrunching, and tying your sweatshirt with rubber bands or strings. Then, you can apply the dye with squeeze bottles, buckets, or even ice cubes. You can use one color or many, depending on the effect you want to achieve. Some popular patterns are spiral, crumple, bullseye, sunburst, stripes, and mandala.
Tie Dyeing is a classic summertime project, and making a tie dye sweatshirt is perfect for those cool summer nights. And if you have a colored sweatshirt, you can try the bleach tie dye (or reverse tie dye) method. The most important tip for tie dyeing sweatshirts and sweatpants is to check the fabric composition before putting dye to fabric. When tie dyeing, natural fabrics such as cotton, rayon, silk, and wool take dye whereas synthetic fabrics such as polyester and acrylic resist it.
You also enjoy the surprise of seeing how your tie dye sweatshirt patterns turn out after you rinse and wash your sweatshirt. And of course, you get to wear your tie dyed masterpiece and show off your skills and taste. Tie dyeing your sweatshirt is a great way to spice up your wardrobe and brighten up your day.
How to Tie Dye a Sweatshirt: A Fun and Easy DIY Project
Tie dyeing is a fun and creative way to transform a plain sweatshirt into a colorful and unique piece of clothing. You can use different folding techniques and colors to create amazing patterns and designs on your sweatshirt. Tie dyeing is also a great activity to do with your friends or family, as you can express your personality and style through your own creations.
Learn how to tie dye a sweatshirt using simple materials and steps. You will need a plain white cotton sweatshirt, a tie dye kit or tie-dye dye and soda ash, rubber bands, plastic wrap, latex gloves, paper towels, and a color remover if you want to lighten a dark sweatshirt. You will also need a large bucket or sink, a stove or microwave, and a washing machine.
Step 1: Prepare Your Workspace and Materials
Before you start tie dyeing your sweatshirt, you need to prepare your workspace and materials. Tie dyeing can be messy, so make sure you cover your work surface with a dropcloth or tarp to protect it from stains. You should also wear heavy rubber gloves to protect your skin from the dye and the hot water. Have an old towel nearby to wipe your hands if needed.
Next, you need to choose your dye color and type. You can buy a tie dye kit that comes with pre-mixed dye bottles and soda ash, or you can buy tie-dye dye and soda ash separately and mix them yourself. Soda ash is a chemical that helps the dye bond with the fabric fibers, making the color more vibrant and lasting. You can find tie dye kits and supplies at most major retailers or specialty fabric stores.
If you are using natural materials to dye your sweatshirt, such as fruits or vegetables, you need to chop them up and boil them in water for about an hour to extract their color. Then, strain the liquid and add some salt or vinegar as a mordant to help the color adhere to the fabric.
If you just want to dye your sweatshirt a lighter color than its original shade, you need to use a color remover first. A color remover is a chemical that strips away the existing color from the fabric, making it easier for the new color to show up. You can find color removers where you buy fabric dyes. Please do not use bleach, as it can damage the fabric fibers and prevent them from accepting dye.
Step 2: Wash and Dry Your Sweatshirt
Before you dye your sweatshirt, you need to wash and dry it to remove any dirt, oil, or fabric softener that might interfere with the dyeing process. Washing your sweatshirt also helps it shrink to its final size, so you don’t end up with a distorted pattern after dyeing.
If you are using a color remover, follow the instructions on the package and treat your sweatshirt with it before washing it. Rinse it well after using the color remover.
Step 3: Soak Your Sweatshirt in Soda Ash Solution
To help the dye bond with the fabric fibers, you need to soak your sweatshirt in a soda ash solution for at least 20 minutes. If you are using a tie dye kit, follow the instructions on how to mix the soda ash and water. If not, mix 1 cup of soda ash with 1 gallon of water in a large bucket or sink.
Wet your sweatshirt with warm water and wring out any excess water. Then, submerge it in the soda ash solution and let it soak for at least 20 minutes. You can soak it longer if you want more intense colors.
Step 4: Fold or Twist Your Sweatshirt into a Pattern
One of the most fun parts of tie dyeing is creating different patterns and designs on your sweatshirt by folding or twisting it in various ways. You can experiment with different techniques and see what results you get.
Here are some popular tie dye patterns and how to make them:
- Spiral: This is one of the most classic tie dye patterns that creates a swirl of colors on your sweatshirt. To make it, lay your sweatshirt flat on your work surface and pinch it in the center. Then, twist it clockwise until it forms a tight spiral shape. Secure it with rubber bands across the spiral.
- Bullseye: This pattern creates concentric circles of colors on your sweatshirt. To make it, lay your sweatshirt flat on your work surface and pinch it where you want the center of the bullseye to be. Then, lift it up and wrap rubber bands around it regularly. You can make multiple bullseyes by pinching different parts of your sweatshirt and repeating the process.
- Sunburst: This pattern creates small bursts of colors on your sweatshirt. To make it, pinch small sections of your sweatshirt and tie them with rubber bands close to the fabric. You can make as many sunbursts as you want, depending on how much white space you want to leave between them.
- Stripes: This pattern creates horizontal, vertical, or diagonal stripes of colors on your sweatshirt. To make it, fold your sweatshirt into a long strip by pleating it from bottom to top, from side to side, or from corner to corner. Then, wrap rubber bands around it regularly and apply different colors to each section.
- Box folds: This pattern creates a grid-like design on your sweatshirt. To make it, fold your sweatshirt into a square by pleating it from bottom to top and then from side to side. Then, wrap rubber bands around it in both directions and apply different colors to each section.
- Triangle folds: This pattern creates a geometric design on your sweatshirt. To make it, fold your sweatshirt into a triangle by folding it in half diagonally and then folding it again along the center line. Then, fold it into smaller triangles by folding the corners to the center. Wrap rubber bands around it and apply different colors to each section.
You can find more tie dye patterns and techniques online or in books, or you can experiment with your own ideas. The possibilities are endless!
Step 5: Mix and Apply the Dye
Once you have folded and tied your sweatshirt into your desired pattern, you need to mix and apply the dye. If you are using a tie dye kit, follow the instructions on how to mix the dye with warm water in the squeeze bottles. If not, mix the tie-dye dye with warm water in separate containers according to the package directions.
Cover your work surface with plastic wrap and put on your gloves. Apply the dye one color at a time to your sweatshirt, making sure to saturate the fabric well. You can use different techniques to apply the dye, such as squirting, dipping, or painting. Be careful not to mix too many colors together or you might end up with a muddy result.
As you apply each color, flip over your sweatshirt to make sure you get dye on both sides. You can also separate the folds and check for any white spots that need more dye. A sweatshirt is very thick, so you might need more dye than you think.
Step 6: Wrap and Let It Set
After applying all the colors you want, you need to wrap your sweatshirt with plastic wrap and set it for 24 hours. This will allow the dye to react with the fabric fibers and create lasting colors. You can also put your wrapped sweatshirt in a plastic bag or container for extra protection.
Step 7: Rinse and Wash
The final step is to rinse and wash your tie dyed sweatshirt. Carefully unwrap your sweatshirt and remove the rubber bands. Rinse it under cold water until the water runs clear. Then, wash it separately in warm water with mild detergent in your washing machine. Dry it as usual or hang it to dry.
Step 8: Enjoy Your Tie Dyed Sweatshirt
Congratulations! You have just made a beautiful and unique tie dyed sweatshirt that you can wear with pride or give as a gift. You can also use this technique to tie dye other items, such as socks, pillowcases, bags, or scarves. Tie dyeing is a entertaining and easy way to add unique colors and creativity to your wardrobe and home.
We hope you enjoyed this article on how to tie dye a sweatshirt and learned some new patterns and techniques. Happy tie dyeing!
Tie Dye Tips and Tricks for Better Results
Tie dyeing is a fun and easy way to add color and pattern to your fabric. However, these easy tips and tricks that can help you get better results and avoid common mistakes. Here are some of them:
- Choose the right fabric. Cotton or other natural fabrics work best for tie dyeing, as they absorb the dye well and create vibrant colors. Synthetic fabrics, such as polyester or nylon, will not absorb the dye as well and may result in uneven or faded colors. You can also use blends of natural and synthetic fabrics, but make sure they have at least 60% natural fibers for best results.
- Wash and dry your fabric before tie dyeing. This will remove any dirt, oil, or fabric softener that might interfere with the dyeing process. It will also help your fabric shrink to its final size so you don’t end up with a distorted pattern after tie dyeing. If you are using a color remover to lighten a dark fabric, do it before washing your fabric.
- Soak your fabric in a soda ash solution for at least 20 minutes. Soda ash is a chemical that helps the dye bond with the fabric fibers, making the color more vibrant and lasting. You can buy soda ash, where you buy fabric dyes, or you can use baking soda as a substitute. Mix 1 cup of soda ash or baking soda with 1 gallon of water in a large bucket or sink. Wet your fabric with warm water and wring out any excess water. Then, submerge it in the soda ash solution and let it soak for at least 20 minutes.
- Fold or twist your fabric into your desired pattern. There are many different ways to fold or twist your fabric to create different patterns and designs on your tie dyed sweatshirt. You can experiment with different techniques and see what results you get. Some popular tie dye patterns are spiral, bullseye, sunburst, stripes, box folds, triangle folds, and more. You can find more tie dye patterns and techniques online or in books, or you can come up with your own ideas.
- Secure your fabric with rubber bands or string. After you have folded or twisted your fabric into your desired pattern, you need to secure it with rubber bands or string to prevent it from unraveling or losing its shape. Make sure you wrap them tightly around your fabric, creating different sections for different colors. You can also use zip ties for a stronger hold.
- Mix and apply the dye to your fabric. If you are using a tie dye kit, follow the instructions on how to mix the dye with warm water in the squeeze bottles. If not, mix the tie-dye dye with warm water according to the package directions in separate containers. Cover your work surface with plastic wrap and put on your gloves. Apply the dye one color at a time to your fabric, making sure to saturate it well. You can use different techniques to apply the dye, such as squirting, dipping, or painting. Be careful not to mix too many colors together, or you might end up with a muddy result.
- Wrap and let your fabric set for 24 hours. After you have applied all the colors you want, you need to wrap your fabric with plastic wrap and let it set for 24 hours. This will allow the dye to react with the fabric fibers and create lasting colors. You can also put your wrapped fabric in a plastic bag or container for extra protection.
- Rinse and wash your fabric. The final step is to rinse and wash your tie dyed fabric. Carefully unwrap your fabric and remove the rubber bands or string. Rinse it under cold water until the water runs clear. Then, wash it separately in warm water with a mild detergent in your washing machine. Dry it as usual, or hang it to dry.
1. Graphic Tie Dye Sweatshirt
We can see the tie-dye trending everywhere these days. That’s why if you are thinking of buying a tie-dye shirt or sweatshirt from a store, it may cost you more than your budget. Don’t worry; you can dye a sweatshirt yourself by following the guidelines and instructions. In this way, you don’t need to step out of your budget. Moreover, the graphics on this customized shirt will give it a more attractive look than others. So, make it using a tie-dye kit, cotton sweatshirt, black vinyl adhesive, Cricut maker, a grip cutting mat, scissors, rubber bands, plastic bags, iron and a water bucket. prettylifegirls
2. DIY Grey Tie Dye Sweatshirt
This grey tie-dye sweatshirt is the trendiest attire for girls and also boys. However, you can also go for another color of your choice to give a new look to your suit. For this, you don’t need to step out of your budget and waste much time. Ideally, this plan also includes the tutorial. So, the beginners can also work on it efficiently. If you also want to dye your shirt, you will need a tie-dye kit, sweatshirt, rubber bands, water bucket, cotton sweatshirt, gloves, squeeze bottles and a plastic container. thosewhitewalls
3. Green Reverse Tie Dye Sweatshirt
Tie die is all there again! What’s about to dye your shirt in the reverse pattern? Of course, why not! You can do it easily by following the guidelines and instructions. Tie-dyeing is an easy and super-effective way to give a new look to all types of clothes. However, it would be most suitable to consider cotton sweatshirts and shirts. For this, the needed supplies and materials are a sweatshirt, bleach, squeeze bottles, rubber bands, rubber gloves, water bucket and plastic bags. emilybelloma
4. Navy Blue Tie Dye Sweatshirt
No doubt, we all love the tie-dye. The best thing is that dyeing kits are now available in almost all colors. So, you don’t need to limit yourself to one or two colors. If you are unfamiliar with this technique, this idea is surely for you. You can dye the sweatshirt in super striking blue colors by following the steps and instructions like a pro. Make sure to fold the fabric in a specified pattern. So, you can dye it according to your choice. You will need for this project to include rubber bands, cardboard, bleach, water, a bucket, rubber bands, plastic wrap and a spray bottle. onecrafdiygirl
5. Swirl Tie Dye Hooded Sweatshirt
Do you want to present a completely new look with your super trendy attire at a festive party? If yes, nothing would be a better option than considering this swirl tie-dye hoodie and sweatpants. Well, you don’t need to spend months or weeks to get your hand on this super gorgeous shirt. You can dye it with no time and effort once you have collected all the supplies. If you are declaring to customize a hoodie, you will need tie-dye squeeze bottles, rubber bands, safety pins, tie-dye rack, plastic bags, Tulip one-step tie-dye kit, table covering and plastic gloves. theneonteaparty
6. DIY Rainbow Tie Dye Sweatshirt
Get a super trendy and fun-loving rainbow tie-dye pattern on your sweatshirt with this super creative idea. Ideally, you don’t need to spend a lot of time and effort to get your hand on this shirt. If you know the basics of dyeing, it would be super easy to get this rainbow shirt in your collection. For this, the needed supplies and materials are a plain white cotton sweatshirt, tie-dye kit, rubber bands, plastic wrap, gloves, paper towels, table covering and soda ash. Instead of using the soda ash, you can also go for the tie-dye kit. abcrafty
7. Blue Tie Dye Sweatshirt with Bleach
Do you want to learn to dye the shirt with bleach? If yes, you are at the right spot. In case of bleaching the shirt, you don’t need to use a complete kit. So, you can complete this customization project effortlessly and efficiently. Moreover, you can also use this method to dye pants, shirts and hoodies. It all depends on your styling needs. The things you will need for this project include a dark-colored cotton sweatshirt, bleach bottle, spray bottle, rubber bands, water, laundry detergent, plastic bucket and gloves.
8. Bleach Tie Dye with Black Sweatshirt
Bleaching the shirts is trending everywhere to get the tie-dye patterns on the shirts. Ideally, you don’t need to use the complete kit for this purpose. indeed, it would be the best project to transform your clothes like a pro. You can also use this bleaching method for the new shirts according to your choice and needs. To complete this craft, you will need to include an inexpensive sweatshirt, rubber bands, squirt bottles, water, bleach, and protective gloves. Make sure to dampen the shirt before bleaching. merricksart
9. DIY Pastel Tie Dye Sweatshirt
Get the super gorgeous pastel tie-dye hues on your sweatshirt with this super easy and effective DIY plan. No doubt, we all are obsessed with the dyeing technique this summer. Not only girls but boys can also get these super attractive hues on their shirts, sweatshirts and sweatpants. If you think about buying a dyed shirt from a store, it will surely cost you more than your budget. So, you don’t need to waste your money when you can dye your clothes yourself. For this project, the required supplies are a tie-dye kit, Tulip one-step tie-dye kit, rubber bands, gloves, water bucket, cotton sweatshirt and table covering. the modern socialite
10. How to Bleach Tie Dye Sweatshirt
We all love the monochrome ranges of tie-dye sweatshirts. Instead of buying these shirts from the store for more than $50, dye them yourself by following the step-by-step guidelines and instructions. For sure, you would love to wear different clothes with some trendy hues. The needed supplies for this dyeing project are a plain sweatshirt, rubber bands, gloves, bleach, squeeze bottles and spray bottles. Make sure to mix the bleach and water in the desired ratio to get the specified pattern on the damped shirt. raisingteenstoday
11. Crumple Tie Dye Sweatshirt for Women’s
Crumple tie-dye shirts are super trendy and in demand these days. That’s why clothing stores charge for these shirts several dollars. It doesn’t mean that you cannot wear a dyed shirt. You can dye a sweatshirt in the crumpling pattern yourself like a pro by following the most straightforward steps and instructions. Ideally, this customized shirt is the best choice for the girls and boys to wear for a festive party. If you also want to get the crumple dye pattern on the shirt, you will need Rit tie dye bottles, dye fixative, squeeze bottles, rubber bands, plastic bags, water and a plastic container. refashionista
12. DIY Muted Ice Tie Dye Sweatshirt
Are you searching for the best tie-dye method for your sweatshirts? If yes, nothing would be trendier than this muted ice-dyed shirt. You can get this dyeing pattern on the shirt effortlessly and efficiently within a few basic steps and supplies. No doubt, this would be the most organic method to get the dye pattern on the shirt. For this, the needed supplies are a one-step Tulip tie-dye kit, rubber bands, wire tray, gloves, plastic wrap, ice and a Gray color pure cotton sweatshirt. prettylifegirls
13. Purple and Blue Tie Dye Sweatshirt
Do you know that you can get the tie-dye patterns on the dark shirts? Yes! It’s super easy to get these patterns, just like the light color clothes. If you want to get the crumpled tie-dye pattern on your sweatshirts, follow the provided guidelines and instructions to get the best results. Ideally, you can also get help from the tutorial to dye the clothes. The basic needed supplies and materials are a dye kit, rubber bands, gloves, water, plastic containers, cotton shirts, and squeeze bottles. sarahssmorgasbord
14. Ice Tie Dye Oversized Sweatshirt
Have you heard about ice dyeing with bleach? If yes, you can also do it yourself with this super effective method. The bleaching agent will help to get the best crystal pattern on the clothes. So, you even don’t need a dye kit to get your hand on this super trendy oversized sweatshirt. If you like this pattern, get it yourself. For this, the needed supplies and materials are a cotton sweatshirt, rubber bands, gloves, bleach crystals, ice and a cooling rack. honestlywtf
15. Bleach Tie Dye a Hoodie Sweatshirt
You can see the tie-dye sweatshirts everywhere in the clothing stores this season. No doubt, these types of clothes look pretty, but not affordable for all. If you also have a small budget to buy the dyeing clothes, don’t worry; you can get these patterns on your clothes yourself in no time and effort within a few basic supplies. Ideally, you can also consider this method to give a new look to your old sweatshirt for some change. For this, you will need 100% pure cotton sweatshirts, rubber bands, gloves, bathtub, water, bleach and a laundry detergent. lovemaegan
16. Pink Bleach Tie Dye Sweatshirt
Are you also obsessed with dyeing patterns and clothes? If yes, give hype to this obsession by getting some dyeing patterns on the clothes yourself. With this method super effectively and efficiently, you can get the tie-dye pattern on your pink sweatshirt or hoodie. For this, you can also follow the IGTV guidelines and instructions. You will also need colored or desired sweatshirts, Clorox bleach, rubber bands, plastic cups, water, and plastic bags. the modern
17. Pastel Tie Dye Crewneck Sweatshirt
Do you want to get some pastel tie-dye patterns on your pink sweatshirt? If yes, you are at the right spot. We are here with the precise method to get some astonishing dyeing patterns on your clothes without investing much money. The best thing is that you can do this process completely yourself without any stress. Indeed, it would be the best and most fun-loving craft activity for crafters of all age groups. So, go for it using a tie-dye kit, white sweatshirt, rubber bands, water, a bucket, plastic container and squeeze bottles. hergratefulheart
18. Men’s Tie Dye Hoodie Sweatshirt
Well, tie-dye patterns are not only for girls. For sure, you can also get some of them on the men’s shirts and other desired clothes. However, it all depends on your styling needs and requirements. You can also dye a shirt for your male friend yourself to gift him on his birthday. But if you buy the same dyed shirt from a store, it will surely cost you more than your budget. The supply list for this dyeing method includes a white cotton sweatshirt, Tulip one-step tie-dye kit, rubber bands, gloves, water bucket, plastic wraps and zip ties. chaoticallyyours
19. Blue Bleach Tie Dye Sweatpants
Do you want to make your Quarantine period a little bit more creative and productive? If yes, nothing would be a better option than working on some dyeing projects. Ideally, it’s super easy even for beginner crafters to dye the clothes without investing time and money. All you need to do is follow the super easy steps once you have collected all the required supplies. The basic required materials for this method are a blank canvas, sweatshirt, rubber bands, gloves, squeeze bottles, spray bottles, water, plastic container, laundry detergent and bleach. curatedbycassidy
20. Tie Dye Black Sweatshirt with Bleach
Dyeing a sweatshirt with bleach is much easier than using a tie-dye kit. If you want to keep yourself busy in this pandemic time, you can do it more creatively by getting some dye patterns on your sweatshirts and other clothes. Ideally, you can try different formats to make your shirts look expensive and more stylish. If you are also thinking about bleaching your sweatshirt, do it yourself using a black sweatshirt, bleach, rubber bands, gloves, water, plastic containers, and zip lock bags. happyhappynes
Related Tie Dye Patterns
Unleash your inner artist with tie dye patterns that wow. Learn the secrets of color mixing, folding, and rinsing for amazing results.
- Tie Dye Shirts: Explore energetic tie dye shirt patterns and learn how to create stunning, unique designs that make a statement.
- Rainbow Tie Dye: Master the art of attractive rainbow tie dye technique with these easy, step-by-step guides for eye-catching results.
- Tie Dye Face Masks: Discover how to make beautiful tie dye face masks with this simple tutorial for a stylish, homemade accessory.
- Spiral Tie Dye Techniques: Transform a t-shirt into an eye-catching, unique piece of art with this easy guide to spiral tie dye! Create stunning patterns and vibrant colors using our step-by-step instructions.
- Tie Dye Sneakers: Transform your shoes into wearable art with our superb tie dye sneaker tutorials and step-by-step instructions.
- Bleach Tie Dye Patterns: Learn the secrets of bleach tie dye techniques to create edgy, unique designs that stand out from the crowd.
- How to Tie Dye Sweatpants: Transform your wardrobe with bold, vibrant color! Learn how to tie dye sweatpants for a unique look. With our step-by-step guide, you’ll know exactly what materials and techniques to use for amazing results.
Tie-dyeing a sweatshirt is a fun and creative way to add a pop of color and personality to your wardrobe. With 20 different tie dye sweatshirt patterns to choose from, the ideas are endless. Whether you’re going for a bold and vibrant look or something more subtle and subdued, there’s a tie-dye pattern that’s perfect for you. Not only is tie-dyeing a great way to express your individuality, but it’s also an enjoyable activity to do with friends and family. So why not gather some supplies, roll up your sleeves, and create a one-of-a-kind tie dye sweatshirt that’s sure to turn heads and make you feel amazing?