Tie dye shoes are a unique and colorful way to express your style. The vibrant colors and patterns of tie dye shoes are sure to make a statement wherever you go. Whether you’re going out with friends or running errands, tie dye sneakers are a fun and stylish way to add colors to your outfit. Learn how to tie dye shoes with these 25 easy tie dye shoes patterns with step by step guide for beginners.
Tie dye shoes are not only fashionable but also environmentally friendly. By using natural dyes and materials, tie-dye shoes are a sustainable alternative to traditional shoes. Tie-dye shoes are also versatile and can be worn with various outfits. From jeans and t-shirts to dresses and skirts, tie dye sneakers can add color to any outfit.
Tie-dye shoes are also a great way to show off your creativity. With endless color combinations and patterns, you can create a unique pair of shoes that reflects your personal style. Tie-dye shoes are perfect for anyone who loves experimenting with fashion and wants to stand out. Let’s explore our 25 easy tie dye shoe patterns below to make your own
Here we have shared many different tie-dye shoe ideas that you can do by following many simple steps without any expensive supplies. So try tie-dye on canvas shoes, or your old sneakers, make watermelon canvas shoes, use transfers to make unicorn ombre tie-dye shoes, rainbow patterns on canvas shoes, use a sharpie to make tie-dye shoes, permanent markers to make tie-dye shoes, and many different easy ideas to make your shoe life better.
How to Tie Dye Shoes: A Step-by-Step Guide
Tie dye shoes are a fun and colorful way to express your creativity and style. You can transform any plain white canvas shoes into a unique pair of sneakers with some tie dye supplies and a little imagination. Learn how to tie dye shoes using two different methods: the shaving cream method and the ice method. Both methods are easy to follow and produce beautiful results. Let’s get started!
What You Need to Tie Dye Shoes
Before you begin, make sure you have the following materials ready:
- White canvas shoes (such as Converse, Toms, Keds, or Skechers)
- Tie dye kit (we recommend this one or you can see our full list of the best tie dye kits)
- Soda ash (if the kit doesn’t have soda ash)
- Shaving cream
- Recycled plastic shopping bags
- Empty containers
- Plastic spoons
- Plastic wrap
- Rubber gloves
- Paper towels
How to Tie Dye Shoes with Shaving Cream
The shaving cream method is a great way to create a swirl or marble effect on your shoes. Here are the steps to follow:
- Prepare your shoes. Remove the laces and the soles from your shoes if you want to keep them white. Soak your shoes and laces in a mixture of warm water and soda ash for 20 minutes. This will help the fabric absorb the dye better. Wring out the excess water and let them dry completely.
- Prepare your dye. Follow the instructions on your tie dye kit to mix the dye with water in separate containers. You can use as many colors as you like, but we suggest using 3-5 colors for a balanced look.
- Prepare your work surface. Cover a large flat surface with plastic wrap. Then, spray some shaving cream on top of the plastic wrap and spread it evenly with a spoon. You want to create a thick layer of shaving cream that is slightly larger than your shoe.
- Apply the dye. Use a plastic spoon to drop some dye onto the shaving cream. Try to create a random pattern with different colors. Then, use the back of a spoon to swirl the dye and create a marble effect.
- Press your shoe into the dye. Place your shoe face down into the dye and press it gently. Make sure the entire shoe is covered with shaving cream and dye. Then, lift up your shoe and place it on a plastic bag.
- Repeat with the other shoe. To make matching tie dye shoes, try to place the dye in the same places or mirrored on the shaving cream. Then, press your other shoe into the dye and place it on another plastic bag.
- Let the dye set. Wrap each shoe with plastic wrap and let them sit for 6-8 hours or overnight. This will allow the dye to bond with the fabric.
- Rinse and dry your shoes. After the dye has set, remove the plastic wrap and rinse your shoes under cold water until the water runs clear. Then, wash them in a washing machine with mild detergent and dry them in a dryer or air dry them.
- Enjoy your tie dye shoes! Put back the laces and soles if you removed them and admire your colorful sneakers!
How to Tie Dye Shoes with Ice
The ice method is another easy way to tie dye shoes that creates a more subtle and blended effect. Here are the steps to follow:
- Prepare your shoes. Remove the laces and soles from your shoes if you want to keep them white. Soak your shoes and laces in a mixture of warm water and soda ash for 20 minutes. This will help the fabric absorb the dye better. Wring out the excess water but do not let them dry completely.
- Prepare your dye. Follow the instructions on your tie dye kit to mix the dye with water in separate containers. You can use as many colors as you like, but we suggest using 2-4 colors for a harmonious look.
- Prepare your work surface. Place a cooling rack over a large baking sheet or tray. Then, place your wet shoes on top of the rack.
- Apply ice cubes over your shoes Cover your shoes completely with ice cubes.
- Sprinkle dye over ice cubes Use a spoon or a shaker bottle to sprinkle some dye powder over the ice. Try to cover the ice evenly with different colors, but don’t worry if some areas have more or less dye than others. This will create a more natural and varied look on your shoes. You can also experiment with different color combinations and see how they blend together.
- Let the ice melt. As the ice melts, it will mix with the dye powder and create a watercolor effect on your shoes. You can let the ice melt naturally or speed up the process with a hair dryer. The longer you let the ice melt, the more intense the colors will be.
- Rinse and dry your shoes. After the ice has melted, remove your shoes from the rack and rinse them under cold water until the water runs clear. Then, wash them in a washing machine with mild detergent and dry them in a dryer or air dry them.
- Enjoy your tie dye shoes! Put back the laces and soles if you removed them and admire your stunning sneakers!
Tips and Tricks for Tie Dyeing Shoes
- To prevent dye from staining your hands, wear rubber gloves when handling the dye and the shoes.
- To prevent dye from bleeding onto other areas of your shoes, use masking tape to cover any parts you want to keep white, such as the soles, toes, or logos.
- To create different patterns on your shoes, you can use different techniques to fold or scrunch your shoes before applying the dye. For example, you can create stripes by folding your shoes accordion-style, or you can create spirals by twisting your shoes from the center.
- To create more contrast and variation on your shoes, you can leave some white spaces between the colors or sprinkle some salt over the ice cubes before applying the dye. Salt helps to create a speckled effect on the fabric.
- To make your tie dye shoes last longer, wash them separately or with similar colors for the first few washes. You can also use a color fixative or vinegar to help set the dye.
Uses and Benefits of Tie Dye Shoes
Tie dyeing shoes is a fun and creative way to transform plain, white canvas sneakers into colorful and unique pieces of art. With just a tie-dye kit, water, and a paintbrush, you can paint your shoes in your favorite hues or create a seasonal sneaker. Paint your desired pattern onto your shoe and let the dyeing process for at least 6 hours.
Advantages of Tie Dye Shoes
- Easy to do: Tie-dyeing is relatively easy to do, even for beginners. All you need is a pair of sneakers, dye, water, and a little time. The results can be impressive, even if you’re not an experienced sewer or crafter.
- Add color and pattern: Tie-dyeing is a great way to add color and pattern to plain fabric. You can use any colors you like and create all sorts of different designs. If you’re looking for a way to add some personality to your clothes or home décor, tie-dyeing is definitely the way to go.
- Unique look: Tie-dyed fabrics often have a unique look that cannot be replicated with other methods of dying fabric. This makes them perfect for creating one-of-a-kind items such as clothing or quilts.
- Inexpensive: Tie-dyeing is an inexpensive way to add color to your wardrobe. You can achieve a wide variety of effects simply by changing the amount of time you leave the fabric in the dye or by using different colors of dye.
- Versatile: Tie-dyeing can be used to create a wide range of effects, from subtle gradations of color to bold geometric patterns. The benefits of tie-dye include its ability to create unique and intricate designs as well as its versatility.
Tie-dye shoes are a fun and creative way to add some color and personality to your wardrobe. With their unique look and easy-to-do process, they are a great option for anyone looking to add some flair to their footwear.
Tie dyeing shoes is a fun and easy way to customize your footwear and express your personality. You can use different methods, colors, and our 25 free tie dye shoes patterns to create unique tie dye effects on your sneakers. Whether you use shaving cream or ice, you will end up with a pair of shoes that will make you stand out from the crowd. Try it out and see how awesome tie dye shoes can be!
1. How to Tie Dye Canvas Sneakers
A lot of tie-dyeing techniques have been tried these days but tie-dyeing canvas sneakers are a total breeze. There is no tying required and fancy supplies are also not included. Try tie-dyeing canvas shoes with supplies like canvas sneakers, one-step tie-dye refills, dye bottles, rubber gloves, paper towels, water, tie-dye rack, and tie-dye powder scoop. Start by preparing your dye before kicking off. theneonteaparty
2. DIY Shibori Tie Dye Shoes
If you haven’t tried tie-dye before, now is the perfect opportunity as it’s very much back in fashion. You will see it basically everywhere and on everything. Make shoes with the shibori tie-dye technique which is so easy and not messy at all. You need supplies like a tulip shibori one-step tie-dye kit, shoes, a plastic bin with water, a plastic bin with water, painter’s tape, and plastic wrap. everydayjenny
3. Bleach Tie Dye Shoes
One of the coolest trends for crafters these days is bleach tie-dye. It is a kind of reverse tie-dye technique that adds more fun to normal tie-dyeing. Try your hand at making bleach tie-dye shoes and you will love how they turn out. You need supplies like black canvas shoes, tie-dye kit, bleach toilet bowl cleaner, old paintbrush, disposable gloves, paper towels, and plastic bags.v chaoticallyyours
4. Unicorn Ombre Tie Dye Shoes with Transfers
Wouldn’t we all love to walk on rainbows and sunshine every time we step into our shoes? With this colorful set of ombre tie-dye shoes, we actually have the chance to do so. Iron-on transfers make them unicorn-themed and it’s quite easy to create a magical set of kicks. Use supplies like one step tie-dye kit, white canvas shoes, paintbrushes, disposable cups, scissors, headset tools, and masking tape. tulipcolor
5. Tie dye Watermelon Canvas Shoes
Summer is the best time to rock some pretty cool canvas shoes and add a little watermelon to them and you’re ready to kick off the summer season. As your next project make watermelon canvas shoes and you won’t be disappointed. You need supplies like tie-dye kits in green and pink colors, black puffy paint, white canvas shoes, the large rag that you don’t mind trashing as it gets messy, painter’s tape, and gloves. mom
6. Rainbow Tie dye Shoes
Customize shoes in a few simple steps and make different tie-dye designs of your choice. Use plain white canvas shoes and tie-dye them into a rainbow pattern that will be a hit everywhere you go. You need supplies like one step tie-dye kit, painter’s tape (optional but recommended), gloves, tablecloth, and white canvas shoes. Choose a work surface that you won’t care if gets messy preferably somewhere outdoors. apumpkinandaprincess
7. How to Tie Dye Shoes
Give a new life to grubby white shoes that have been laying around for a long time but you couldn’t figure out what to do with them. Tie-dye them to turn them into a brand new pair and you can even do that for your kids’ shoes. Use supplies like painter’s tape, white canvas shoes, tulip one-step tie-dye kit, plastic wrap or a grocery bag, paintbrush, and a bowl of water. swoodsonsays
8. Marble Tie Dye Shoes
Like a love story, tie-dye is still loved by everyone and is back in everyone’s wardrobe once again. You can also upcycle your old shoes into something creative by tie-dyeing them into a marble pattern. You need supplies like rit liquid fabric dye in pearl grey color, shaving cream, tub or tin baking dish, and white canvas shoes. Start by preparing the dye as per the package instructions first. onecrafdiygirl
9. Make Your Own Rainbow Tie Dye Shoes
If your kid is a spunky little girl with a lot of personalities, tie-dyed rainbow shoes are just the thing she needs. They are not hard to make at all and will look super cute on your special little girl. Gather your supplies like tulip one-step tie-dye kit, pair of white cotton shoes, spray bottle with water, tulip surface covers/plastic tablecloth/plastic bags to lay down to do your project on, sink, washer, dryer. ilovetocreate
10. DIY Sharpie Tie Dye Shoes
It’s so easy to get inspiration from different things around you to make your own craft projects. This project involves drawing on shoes with sharpies to get your favorite design and colors in just a few simple steps. You need supplies like a colorful set of sharpie markers, plain white canvas shoes, rubbing alcohol, a spray bottle, and masking tape. A great thing about this project is it’s very low cost and affordable. funlovingfamilies
11. Tie dyed Running Shoes with Permanent Markers
Some things just never go out of style like tie-dye clothing. Blasting into the scene since the sixties, we never get enough of these colorful designs. Now tie-dyed items have gone a long way from just a traditional t-shirt. For your own tie-dyed project using permanent markers, get supplies like white shoes, permanent markers, straw, painter’s tape, and rubbing alcohol 90%. Involve the kids and they will love their own wearable piece of art. diynetwork
12. Sharpie Tie Dye Shoes for Womens
A plain pair of canvas shoes can easily be transformed into colorful works of art by making them into sharpie tie-dyed sneakers. Once you’re done with one pair, you will be totally hooked and will forever get the itch to try tie-dyeing again and again. For this project, you need supplies like plain white pair of canvas sneakers, sharpie markers, 91% isopropyl rubbing alcohol, and a medicine dropper. thecraftpatch
13. Tie Dye Galaxy Canvas Shoes
You don’t have to step out of your front door to create the coolest pair of shoes in the universe. Tie-dye shoes in a colorfully fun galaxy pattern which is the easiest way to walk among the stars. Use supplies like tulip one-step tie-dye kit, brush-on fabric paint in white color, white canvas shoes, stiff paintbrush or old toothbrush, disposable plastic surface cover, and plastic grocery bags. tulipcolor
14. DIY Tie Dye Shoes
Make your own on-trend shoes this year and get ready to be back to school. Customize them in any way you see fit and they are also quite easy to make. So go bold with your shoes with your favorite colors. You will need supplies like white canvas shoes, rubbing alcohol, a spray bottle, masking tape as painter’s tape doesn’t work in this project, and assorted sharpie markers. kcparent
15. Tie Dye Shoes Using Sharpies and Alcohol
A fun and easy summer craft project that you can easily complete within an hour is tie-dye. It’s easy enough for kids of all ages and quite fun to do too. Try making beautiful tie-dye shoes using sharpies and alcohol. Use supplies like white canvas shoes of slip-on style without laces, sharpies of colors that blend well, 91% rubbing alcohol, pipette or medicine dropper, and masking tape. itsalwaysautumn
16. DIY Tie dye Vans Shoes
If you have an old pair of boring white shoes, it’s time to spice things up with them. It would be so much fun to dye them in an exciting new project. What you need for this project are a pair of plain white canvas or cotton shoes, one step tie-dye neon kit, a spray bottle or a damp towel that can also work, one plastic bag, and one garbage bag. sunsetmediawave
17. Tie Dye Children’s Shoes
If tie-dye clothing is a little hard for you to rock as everyday wear, tie-dye shoes might be the perfect idea for you. Involve the kids and they will be super excited to use different colors. Get your supplies like a pair of white canvas shoes or your old sneakers can also be jazzed up, one step tie-dye kit, plastic gloves, and garbage bags, soap and warm water, and painter’s tape. myfrugaladventures
18. How to Tie Dye Shoes with Sharpies
With a few supplies that you already might have t the house, you can easily make tie-dye shoes for you and your kids. It’s a great project for kids, teens, or anyone who wants to try the tie-dye trend. You need supplies like non-laced slip-on white canvas shoes, sharpie markers in various colors, dropper or plastic medicine syringe, and rubbing alcohol. Set up your workspace before starting with the project. simplybessy
19. Make Your Own Tie Dye Shoes
Summer crafts are the most fun and tie-dye projects are no exception. They are great group projects as they are much less messy and fun kicks can be designed in any pattern you want. For this project, you need supplies like white canvas shoes (old pair can also work), masking tape, permanent markers, spray bottle, foam brush, and rubbing alcohol. Make your kicks properly clean and dry before you start off the project. chaoticallyyours
20. Make Rainbow Tie dye Shoes
Add some extra color to your wardrobe with these rainbow patterned tie-dye shoes. No one will mind a little funk added into the regular pair of shoes and kids will be especially excited for that. For this project, the supplies needed are a pull-on pair of white canvas shoes, tie-dye bottles, workspace, tablecloth, disposable pans, tray, sealed plastic bags or plastic wrap, and a hanging line for drying. artsyfartsymama
21. How to Tie Dye Shoes with Sharpie Markers
If you have an old pair of white canvas shoes lying in your cupboard for a while, there is no better time to pretty them up. After trying it for one time, you would want to grab new pairs and tie them too. Use supplies like a pair of white canvas shoes, sharpie markers, rubbing alcohol, a workspace covered with a plastic tablecloth, and a pair of plastic or rubber gloves. atcharlotteshouse
22. Red White and Blue Tie Dye Shoes
Red, white and blue tie-dye speaks America as loudly as nothing else. Get the look from head to toe with these fun 3 colored tie-dye shoes and enjoy wearing them throughout the year. Supplies required are sharpies (permanent markers), 91% isopropyl alcohol, spray bottle, white canvas shoes, and painter’s tape to keep the sole of the shoes safe from dyeing. Canvas shoes must be washed first before starting the project. jenniferperkins
23. Fun Ice Dyed Shoes
Ice dyeing is a unique form of dyeing that creates cool patterns and beautiful color combinations. In whatever colors you like, you can turn your shoes into awesome tie-dyed one-of-a-kind pair. Gather your supplies like canvas or cotton fabric shoes, fiber reactive powder dyes, soda ash or washing soda, dust mask, gloves, container to dye your shoes in, container to soak them in, plastic spoons, aluminum foil, ice, and dish soap. instructables
24. Tie Dye Abstract Rainbow Sneakers
Crafts sometimes don’t go the way you plan them to but with tie-dye, you can never go wrong. So if you try it on your shoes, every pattern and color look done right and nifty. So this project will be freaking awesome for you and also quite unpredictable. You need supplies like a pair of white canvas shoes, liquid dye, a paintbrush, a work surface that can get messy, a plastic tablecloth, and plastic gloves. dreamalittlebigger
25. Easy to Make Tie Dye Shoes
When tie-dye becomes a messy project for you, try simple hacks to make it a little bit easier for you and the little ones involved. Get them busy and excited for tie-dyeing their own shoes in a few simple steps. Use supplies like white canvas shoes, permanent markers, painter’s tape, rubbing alcohol 90%, eyedropper, vinyl tablecloth or trash bags, paper towels, and hand soap to wash hands numerous times during the project. organized31
Related Tie Dye Patterns
Learn how to tie dye like a pro with these amazing patterns. From spirals to stripes, you’ll find something for every style and occasion.
- Face Mask Tie Dye Patterns: Discover unique tie dye face mask patterns to add flair to your mask collection, with step-by-step instructions for all levels.
- How to Tie Dye Sweatpants: Transform plain sweatpants into vibrant, wearable art with our simple, foolproof guide on how to tie dye sweatpants at home.
- Spiral Tie Dye Patterns: Master the mesmerizing spiral tie dye technique with our comprehensive tutorial, perfect for breathing new life into your wardrobe.
- Bleach Tie Dye Techniques: Unleash your creativity with these creative bleach tie dye patterns, perfect for adding a stylish, edgy touch to your favorite garments.
- Rainbow Tie Dye Tutorials: Discover the joy of creating vibrant, eye-catching tie dye masterpieces with our easy rainbow tie dye tutorial! From basic techniques to detailed designs, explore a world of color and make something truly unique.
- Tie Dye Sweatshirts Techniques: Explore gorgeous tie dye sweatshirt patterns that will transform your wardrobe, with step-by-step instructions for a personalized look.
- Shirt Tie Dye Patterns: Create eye-catching tie dye shirt patterns with our easy-to-follow guide, perfect for fashion-forward, DIY enthusiasts of all ages.
So grab your tie-dye, give your kicks a cosmic makeover, and make different designs of tie-dyed shoes for yourself, your friends, and your family. Tie dye shoes are a fun and creative way to express your style. They are easy to make with just a few materials and some simple steps. You can pick from 25 different patterns that suit your mood and occasion. Whether you want to create a rainbow, a galaxy, a watermelon, or a leopard print, you can find a tutorial that will guide you through the process.
Tie dye shoes are also a great gift idea for your friends and family. You can customize them with their favorite colors and designs. Tie dye shoes are more than just footwear; they are a statement of who you are and what you love. So grab your shoes, your dye, and your creativity, and get ready to transform your plain sneakers into something amazing!