Tie-dyeing your face mask is a great way to update your look without compromising health or safety. It’s a fun and easy way to enhance your face mask and create one-of-a-kind tie dye face mask patterns using your favorite colors. You can achieve that signature tie-dye look by folding and tying sections of your mask with rubber bands before starting the dyeing process. You can use several techniques to create classic tie-dye patterns, such as bullseye, stripes, polka dots, and swirls. Learn how to tie dye a mask with these 25 easy DIY tie dye face mask patterns with step by step instructions for beginners.
To make a tie dye mask, you’ll need a few supplies, such as a tie-dye kit with squirt bottles and dye packets, plain white cotton face masks, gloves, rubber bands, plastic bags or plastic wrap, and craft trays or baking sheets. Start by dampening your mask under a faucet or dipping it in a bowl of water. Then fold and tie sections of your mask with rubber bands before applying the dye. You can apply one color evenly over the entire mask or use different colors on each divided section of your mask.
Tie-dying allows you to express your style and personality while effectively protecting yourself and others from the spread of germs. It’s a great way to accessorize your face mask for a unique and vibrant look. So why not get crafty and creative with your face mask by adding a tie-dye look? You can even make matching “Mommy and me” or “Daddy and me” tie-dye face masks. It’s a fun activity that will captivate and inspire you to create a beautiful tie dye face mask while staying safe. Let’s explore our 25 easy diy tie dye face mask patterns below:
How to Tie Dye Face Masks: A Fun and Colorful DIY Project
Face masks are an essential accessory these days, but they don’t have to be boring or plain. You can spice up your face mask collection by adding some tie dye patterns and colors. Tie dyeing is a fun and easy way to create unique and personalized designs on fabric, and you can do it at home with some simple materials.
Learn how to tie dye face masks using different techniques and tips. Whether you want to make a rainbow mask, an ice dyed mask, or a bleached mask, we have you covered!
What You Need to Tie Dye Face Masks
Before you start tie dyeing your face masks, you will need to gather some supplies. Here is a list of what you will need:
- White cotton face masks: You can use pre-made masks or make your own from white cotton fabric. Make sure the masks are 100% cotton or mostly cotton, as synthetic fabrics may not absorb the dye well.
- Rubber bands: You’ll need rubber bands to create different patterns on your masks by folding and tying them in various ways.
- Food coloring or fabric dye: You can use either food coloring or fabric dye to color your masks. Food coloring is cheaper and easier to find but may fade over time. Fabric dye is more permanent and vibrant but may require more preparation and precautions. You can also use natural dyes from plants or fruits if you want to go green.
- Water: You will need water to mix with your dye and to dampen your masks before dyeing them.
- Cups or glass jars: You will need cups or glass jars to hold your dye solutions. Use one cup or jar for each color you want to use.
- Gloves: You will need gloves to protect your hands from staining and irritation from the dye.
- Plastic bags or plastic wrap: You will need plastic bags or plastic wrap to cover your dyed masks and let them sit for a few hours or overnight. This will help the dye set and create more intense colors.
- Old towels or newspapers: You will need old towels or newspapers to protect your work surface from spills and stains.
How to Tie Dye a Face Mask Using Basic Dyeing Technique
This is the simplest and most common way to tie dye face masks. You can create different patterns by folding and tying your masks in various ways. Here are the steps to follow:
- Start by dampening your mask under a faucet or dipping it in a bowl of water. You can tie dye a dry face mask, but damp fabric allows the dye to permeate evenly.
- Fold and tie your mask according to the pattern you want to create. There are many ways to fold and tie your mask, such as accordion fold, spiral fold, bullseye fold, heart fold, etc. You can find tutorials online for different patterns. Use rubber bands to secure your folds and create sections on your mask.
- Mix your dye solution by adding 16 drops of food coloring or fabric dye with ½ cup of water for each color you want to use. Use individual cups or glass jars for each color.
- Dip small sections of your mask in various colors, trying not to overlap colors much. You can leave sections white as well to get that classic “tie dye” pattern. Alternatively, you can use squeeze bottles or droppers to apply the dye on your mask more precisely.
- Wrap your dyed mask in a plastic bag or plastic wrap and let it sit for a few hours or overnight. This will allow the dye to set and create more vibrant colors.
- Rinse your mask under cold water until the water runs clear. Remove the rubber bands and unfold your mask. You can wash it with a mild detergent in cold water if you want to remove any excess dye.
- Dry your mask either in a dryer or by hanging it outside. Enjoy your colorful and unique face mask!
How to Tie Dye a Face Mask Using Ice Dyeing Technique
This is another way to tie dye face masks that creates more random and abstract patterns. You will need some ice cubes and soda ash for this technique. Soda ash is a chemical that helps the dye bond with the fabric better. You can find it online or in craft stores. Here are the steps to follow:
- Start by soaking your mask in a solution of soda ash and water for about 15 minutes. This will allow the dye adhere to the fabric better and create more lasting colors. You can use ¼ cup of soda ash per gallon of water.
- Wring out your mask and fold and tie it according to the pattern you want to create. You can use the same folding and tying methods as the basic dyeing technique or experiment with different ones.
- Place your mask on a wire rack over a baking sheet or a large plastic container. This will allow the excess dye to drip off and prevent pooling.
- Cover your mask with ice cubes, making sure to cover all the sections. You can use crushed ice or whole ice cubes, depending on the effect you want to achieve.
- Sprinkle your dye powder over the ice cubes, using different colors for different sections. You can use fabric dye powder or Kool-Aid powder for this technique. Be careful not to inhale the powder or get it in your eyes.
- Let the ice melt completely, and let your mask sit for a few hours or overnight. The ice will slowly melt and release the dye onto your mask, creating unique and unpredictable patterns.
- Rinse your mask under cold water until the water runs clear. Remove the rubber bands and unfold your mask. You can wash it with a mild detergent in cold water if you want to remove any excess dye.
- Dry your mask either in a dryer or by hanging it outside. Enjoy your cool and artistic face mask!
How to Tie Dye a Face Mask Using Bleaching Technique
This is another way to tie dye face masks that creates more contrast and negative space. You will need some bleach and a spray bottle for this technique. Bleach is a chemical that removes color from fabric, so you will need to start with a colored face mask instead of a white one. Here are the steps to follow:
- Start by folding and tying your mask according to the pattern you want to create. You can use the same folding and tying methods as the basic dyeing technique or experiment with different ones.
- Fill a spray bottle with bleach and water, using a ratio of 1:1 or 1:2, depending on how strong you want the bleaching effect to be. You can also add some salt or vinegar to the solution to make it more effective.
- Spray your mask with the bleach solution, covering all the sections evenly. You can also dip your mask in a bowl of bleach solution if you want a more uniform effect.
- Let your mask sit for 10 to 30 minutes, depending on how light you want it to be. You will see the color fading gradually as the bleach works on the fabric.
- Rinse your mask under cold water until the water runs clear. Remove the rubber bands and unfold your mask. You can wash it with a mild detergent in cold water if you want to remove any excess bleach.
- Dry your mask either in a dryer or by hanging it outside. Enjoy your stunning and edgy face mask!
Tips and Tricks for Tie Dyeing Face Masks
Here are some tips and tricks to make your tie dyeing experience more fun and successful:
- Wear old clothes and gloves when tie dyeing, as the dye can stain your skin and clothes easily.
- Work in a well-ventilated area and avoid inhaling or touching any chemicals, such as bleach or soda ash.
- Experiment with different colors, patterns, and techniques to create your own unique designs.
- Wash your tie dyed face masks separately from other clothes, as they may bleed color in the first few washes.
- Have fun, and enjoy your creative project!
1. How To Tie Dye A Face Mask
Maybe you don’t even know that those face masks are one of the dyeable items. So, you can look unique in this covid-19 condition with a tie-dye mask. Get tips and directions about how to tie-dye a mask for a custom rainbow spiral or cumple dye pattern. You need a face mask or other small items like headbands, scrunchies, tie-dye, dye bottles, water, small rubber bands, Ziploc bags, paper towels, rubber gloves, plastic table cloth, and tie-dye rack to complete this project. theneonteaparty
2. Make Your Own Tie Dye Face Masks
Rock the wearing-a-mask trend with these tie-dye masks. They will be amazingly cute and lovely when matched with the headbands and other clothing items. So, wearing colorful masks will surely help you come out of the pandemic conditions, and you will love how these masks will serve a fashion lover. You need plain white face masks, fabric dye, extra squeeze bottles, rubber bands, a baking rack and a plastic tub, plastic wrap or sandwich bags, rubber gloves, and plastic table covering to complete these tie-dye face masks. housebeautiful
3. Quick and Easy Tie Dye White Face Mask
Are you the kind of person who loves personal health care and safety? Then you will surely know well the importance of wearing a mask. So, go with the tie-dye technique and spice up the masks game. You will surely fall in love with these tie-dye masks that look super colorful and awesome. They will make sweet handmade gifts for your favorite persons also. Even the kids can try dyeing these masks, and they will surely add to their crafting skills. Leave the masks for 6-8 hours once you dye them. Then you can rinse them up with water. 5littlemonsters
4. Easy To Tie Dye Face Mask
Bring colors to your face masks by using the tie-dye technique. If you are puzzling at the process or technique, then get the complete directions here. Rubberband the face masks for the desired crumple or spiral tie-dye pattern, and then pour the dyes on the partitioned sections of the masks. Leave the bags for some time in the ziplock bags for a great color absorption and then rinse with water and gain the lovely tie-dye masks. The completed masks will be both praise-worthy and gift-worthy. At the same time, these masks will be quick projects also to learn the tie-dye technique. atcharlotteshouse
5. DIY Tie Dyed Face Masks
Want to do some tie-dye projects on a small scale just to put your newly tie-dye techniques to the test? Then make these tie-dye masks that are amazingly cute and colorful will surely make sweet handmade Covid-19 gifts. It will not take that too long to create a bunch of these tie-dye masks. You need the tie-dye kits, plastic wrap, work surface, rubber bands, bottles and gloves to complete these tie-dye masks projects with great ease. The project aims to be quick, but you have to leave the tie-dyed mask for 6-24 hours to absorb the dye well in the fabric. gluesticksblog
6. How To Make Tie Dye Face Mask
Rock your winter fashion with these tie-dye face masks that are much visually captivating and will be a total pleasure to dye also. You need the Tulip brand tie-dye to do this project. The project provides instructions for all the steps, from folding the masks to rubberbanding them to dye them beautifully. The completed masks will go very well with your outfits and make you look unique in the crowd. You can pick your favorite dyes for the project, and all it takes is the beginner tie-dye skills to complete these tie-dye face mask projects. clumsycrafter
7. Tie Dye Face Masks with Tulip Soda Ash Kit
Have you been in the tie-dye game for a long time? Do you want to try out the Tulip Soda Ash Kit for the next tie-dye projects? Then this project will share with you the complete instructions about how to use the kit while tie-dye some face masks. The dyed masks will help look unique in the friends and other crowds of people and will help bring a great style to you. However, you can match them with headbands and other outfits also for bigger style statements. doodlecraft
8. Tie Dye Face Mask Craft For Kids
Have you got bored of wearing the same color masks? Want to try out something new and colorful? Then kill your face mask boredom with these tie-dye masks that you can make at home with quite ease. Before you jump into the project, manage to have the required materials and tools first. Grab the paintbrush, rubberbands, sink, spray bottle, dye for tie-dye, white masks, and ziplock bags. However, you can also use some additional trays and cups for easy handling of dyes and dyed masks. It is recommended to leave the masks for a few hours after they get dyed. toddlerapproved
9. Sharpie Tie Dye Masks
Tie-dye kits are used widely around the globe for tie-dye projects. Here you will learn to tie-dye the facemasks using the sharpie markers. This will give some amazing results too. Using sharpies will be comparatively easy to learn the tie-dye technique for sure. Get inspired by the given tie-dye masks that are cute and colorful at the same time. Want to try the sharpie tie-dye method? Then grab a white cotton mask or your favorite fabric item, isopropyl rubbing alcohol, medicine dropper, and sharpie markers to complete this project. Choose the sharpies in your favorite colors for the project. thecraftpatch
10. Make Tie Dye Masks With Food Coloring
When it comes to tie-dye the masks, there can be lots of possibilities for sure. Follow here guides about how to use the food colors to easily tie-dye the masks. The colorful masks will surely help you look unique in the pandemic and bring a big wow factor to your personality. For this project, you need a cloth mask, food coloring, vinegar, a small bowl, plastic or Saran wrap, rubber bands, shampoo travel bottles and a plastic shopping bag to complete this entire project. The entire project is comparatively easy to do and will add to your tie-dye skills for sure. hispanaglobal
11. DIY Tie Dye Face Masks
Many of us have different preferences and choices about colors. Some like the bright colors, and others are a fan of pastel shades. So, learn how to tie-dye the masks for the pastel colors, which will also create so much fun. The very required supplies for the project will be 100% cotton masks, Rit Dye, rubber bands, squeeze bottles and some creativity to easily duplicate this pastel tie-dye face mask project with quite ease. A quick handmade gift to give all who love the faded color shades. prettylifegirls
12. Crumple and Spiral Tie Dye Face Mask
Intending to go for a crumple and spiral tie-dye patterns when tie-dyeing your masks? Go with these provided video tutorials to learn both the techniques comprehensively. The completed masks will bring tons of style and grace to the user and will be big fun for all the kids at home. You need Tulip X-Large Block Party Tie Dye Kit, Rit Dye, and white face masks to easily try out this tie-dye face mask project, sure to be a big love of all. From folding to rubberbanding, you will get here directions for all steps. Using a metal rack will make the project a lot easier also.
13. DIY Cotton Face Masks Tie Dye
Are you puzzling at how to tie-dye the white cotton masks properly and efficiently as the professionals do? Then this video tutorial here will clear all your points and help you be an expert in the tie-dye technique. The project is all about giving a brilliant tie-dye effect to the cotton face masks you are using in routines in this Covid-19 pandemic. The entire project is much doable for all beginners, and it will surely bring tons of style to your wearing-a-maks game for sure. The required supplies for the project are the same as for other projects.
14. Tie Dye Face Masks Using One Step Kit For Beginners
Are you a beginner and want to try out the tie-dye technique on cotton face masks? Then you will surely find this tutorial super helpful, especially shared for the beginners. The project provides directions ad guidelines about using the one-step tie-dye kit, and it will help dye the masks quickly and efficiently too. The kit provides all the required materials and tools and instructions for a different folding technique to gain that spiral tie-dye, shibori, striped, and crumple tie-dye patterns on the masks. One of the best DIY tie-dye mask project that everyone can do with ease.
15. Tie Dye Mini Shirts For Your Face
Maybe you are new to tie-dye the face maks. If you still have some questions or points in mind unanswered, then you must go with this video tutorial. It provides complete instructions about how to die the face masks like a professional. So, you can wear tie-dye masks to look great in the entire friend’s circle or family. Moreover, the style-loving girls and boys also love everything unique yet stylish, and these face masks will exactly be the things they will love a lot for sure.
16. Shibori Tie Dye Face Mask
The shibori tie-dye technique is widely popular but can be a little intimidating for many of us. So, learn how to shibori tie-dye a mask like a pro, and it will surely provide those necessary guidelines and instructions you are looking for. The project starts by rubberbanding the face mask first. You can fold the masks in the way you like for different tie-dye design patterns. The horizontal accordion folds with a clothespin or wrapping the mask around the Mason jar, and the rubberbanding will rock for this project. So, do look through this tutorial to learn all about the folding tie-dye techniques.
17. How To Tie Dye Face Masks
Get here complete guides and instructions about how to quickly tie-dye face masks to look much visually captivating. The projected gain uses the One-Step Tulip Tie-Dye kit, which provides additional printed instructions about how to tie different patterns. You will the additional guides also about how to nicely fold the mask to reveal those mind-blow dyeing patterns on them. Using white cotton masks is recommended for this project. The project is much doable for all beginners and will provide a lot of tips and tricks also.
18. Easy Tie Dye Face Masks For Beginners
Are you a beginner to tie-dye technique. Then learn it here thoroughly with the help of complete video instructions and directions. The project involves tie-dye a mask, and it will complete quickly. By looking through the project, you will be able to tie-dye any of your favorite fabric items. This not ends here, you will get here instructions to fold the mask creatively also for amazing tie-dye patterns on the masks. You need reusable cloth face masks, RIT liquid tie-dye, tie-dye plastic bottles, rubber bands, rack and disposable gloves to do this project.
19. Tie Dye Filter Pocket Face Mask
Once you get into the tie-dye game and learn all the tricks, you can try out new tie-dye patterns and projects. So, you must duplicate these filter pocket tie-dye masks that feature tons of unique flower tie-dye patterns and look amazingly colorful. The most dazzling and eye-catching masks they will be for all the style-loving girls, kids and boys. The required supplies for the project will be the same, and you will love trying out this project for sure. After creating a set of these masks, you can easily pack them as cute handmade gifts for friends.
20. The Best Tie Dye Masks
Looking for some great tie-dye masks to wear all day long? Then you will surely fall in love with the given ones that are brightly colorful. Use the crumple tie-dye technique for these masks, but you can also go with the spiral, rainbow-striped, and flower tie-dye techniques while trying out this project. Using reusable cloth masks is recommended for this project. The rest of the supplies will be the same that you use for any other fabric project. The project is great for beginners and involves using a single dye color for most of the masks.
21. Make Your Own Tie Dye Face Mask
You can die a whole set of fabric items also that you are wearing on a specific day. All the ladies can tie-dye the headbands, hair ties, and face masks to go for bigger fashion statements for sure. So, look at the given tie-dyed face maks and hair tie design model that will be loved dearly by all and will be a breeze to dye also. Here both of the products are dyed for the pastel shades, and you have the freedom to go with the bright dye colors also. The project will be quick and easy at the same time.
22. Custom Tie Dye Face Masks
Small fabric items like headbands, face masks, scarves and handkerchieves can be the best things to try out different tie-dye patterns and techniques. You can try dyeing these face masks that appear in so many different dye color combinations for great inspiration. So, you can wear a different mask every day, probably matching with your outfits too. The project will work great to bring some fun to this pandemic, and the completed masks will also make epic handmade presents to your favorite kids and family members.
23. Hand Tie Dyed Facemasks
You have the freedom to dye the masks in the way you like. Need some inspiration for different tie-dye patterns? Then look at the given masks that contain a variety of dyed design patterns, and they look much visually captivating. From spiral tie-dye patterns to diagonal striped rainbow tie-dye masks, you will see them here all to get inspired by. There are tons of folding techniques that help bring lots of dye patterns to the fabric items. So, these masks will be a quick way to try them all on a small scale. The entire project will be easy and quick to do and will be completed in no time.
24. Stylish Tie Dye Face Mask
Tie-dye the masks is a great way to kill that boring routine of wearing a mask. So, presenting here guides and instructions about quickly tie-dye the face masks for some brilliantly colorful appeals. You can pick your favorite colors and try out so many different folding and tying techniques to bring that necessary dye patterns on the masks. Look at the given tie-dye masks, are not they looking cute and gorgeous? They will make epic handmade presents to your favorite kids and family members and will be a breeze to complete also.
25. Tie Dye A Face Mask
Maybe the kids can be too difficult to make wear a mask. So, you can quickly make a tie-dye face mask that will be comparatively quick and easy to dye and also. Go with your favorite spiral, crumple, sunburst, striped or rainbow tie-dye pattern to easily duplicate this tie-dye face mask. It will be a big love of all the little kids at home. The project is more than easier to do and will complete at the drop of a hat. Try out your favorite colors for this tie-dye face mask project.
Related Tie Dye Patterns
How to create tie dye patterns that wow everyone. Follow our simple instructions and unleash your creativity with these awesome projects.
- Tie Dye Sweatshirt Patterns: Discover unique tie dye sweatshirt patterns and master the art of creating vibrant, eye-catching designs with our easy guide.
- Shirt Tie Dye Techniques: Unleash your creativity with this stunning tie dye shirt pattern, and transform ordinary shirts into vibrant, colorful masterpieces.
- Spiral Tie Dye Designs: Learn the secrets to creating fantastic spiral tie dye tutorials with our step-by-step guide, perfect for fashion enthusiasts.
- How to Tie Dye Sneakers: Give your shoes a fresh, colorful look with our remarkable tie dye shoes techniques guide, and make a statement with every step.
- Rainbow Tie Dye Patterns: Create an artful masterpiece of color with our easy-to-follow guide on how to rainbow tie dye! Unleash your inner artist and make something unique today.
- Bleach Tie Dye Tutorials: Learn how to create unique tie dye designs using bleach for an entirely new look. Unlock your creative side & dive into the world of diy fashion with our easy-to-follow guide on tie dye bleach.
Tie dyeing face masks are a fun and easy way to add some color and personality to your face mask collection. You can use different techniques, such as basic dyeing, ice dyeing, or bleaching, to create various patterns and effects on your masks.
All you need are some simple materials such as white cotton masks, rubber bands, food coloring or fabric dye, water, cups or glass jars, gloves, plastic bags or plastic wrap, old towels or newspapers, ice cubes, soda ash, bleach, and a spray bottle.
Follow our step-by-step instructions for each technique, and use our tips and tricks to make your tie dyeing experience more enjoyable and successful. Tie dyeing face masks is a great way to express yourself and have fun at home!