How to Create Mixed Media Art on a Reversed Canvas
Create a unique look with your mixed media by painting on the reverse side of your thick canvases.
Shop this Project
Hi Blitsy Fans!
I'm excited to share with you some new to me products by DecoArt. It's from their media line which are created for mixed media. I'm especially loving the new Misters line of DecoArt Media. These are highly pigmented color mists but instead of being water reactive they are permanent once dry! Seriously, this is a game changer for mixed media techniques. Normally I would try to keep all my misting toward the top layers but now I can use them whenever because of these. Today I created my entire background with the misters and you can see how many layers I added over top without them altering that first layer. I also turned my canvas backgrounds to work to create a shadow box effect. Such a cool look so don't be afraid to turn those canvases around (best on the stretch canvases) for a different look for your art work. You also have to check out the Americana Weathered Wood Crackle Medium. I'm not gonna lie, I'm obsessed. I've used different crackle mediums since I started doing mixed media and this one is by far the easiest I have used. It is a 3 step process but there isn't much involved except paint, medium and then another color of paint. It works best if you use colors that contrast with eachother so you get a better pop of color when the crackle begins emerge. Also, a tip I got is that you want to use a more opaque color on top of the Weathered Wood Crackle as you don't get as much crack with the more fluid acrylics in the media line. Be sure to watch the video below to see the magic happen!
- 12x12 Stretched Canvas
- Liquitex Gesso
- Liquitex Matte Gel
- DecoArt Media Misters (Yellow Green, Primary Magenta, Primary Cyan)
- JustRite Stamps Background Script Stamp
- Dina Wakley Media Cling Stamps Positive Women
- Dina Wakley Media Heavy Body Acrylic White
- Americana Weathered Wood Crackle Medium
- DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics (Green Gold, Primary Cyan)
- Claritystamp Chinese Lanterns Stencil
- Finnabair Art Extravagance Texture Paste Graphite
- Faber-Castell Design Memory Craft PITT Artist Pen (Medium, Brush)
- Sakura Permapaque Dual Opaque Pigment Marker
- Tim Holtz Small Talk Sticker Book
- Metallic Silver Thread
- Studio Calico Mistables Butterflies
- Princeton Art & Brush Co Select Brush Flat Wash 1
- Ranger Black Palette Knife Set
- Americana Acrylic Spray Sealer/Finisher, Gloss
Join me in my studio!
Thanks so much for stopping by today! I encourage you to flip those canvases over the next time you sit down to create. It makes for such an interesting and unique look.
Until next time, Happy Crafting!!!
Don't Miss TheseView All Articles