Altered Art Journal Cover with Stencils & Acrylic Paints
Transform your plain art journal cover into it's own work of art with this mixed media tutorial using acrylic paints, stencils, and embossing paste.
Shop this Project
Hi Blitsy Fans!
Carisa with you today and I decided to alter the cover of my Canson Mixed Media Art Journal. This journal is one of my favorites to work in. The pages can handle a lot of media - wet and dry - layers galore. I'm excited because I nearly have it filled and thought it was time to make the outside match my personality and style as much as the inside. I tend to save altering the covers until I have quite a few pages done inside. I was inspired by the new Donna Downey Studios Stencil - artist soul. I'm sure you all know by now how much I love Donna Downey stencils and this quote spoke to me because it is so true! It is really simple to alter the front of these types of journals since they are made with heavy chipboard. A few layers of white gesso to cover up the print and you are ready to add your own color, texture and layers! Let's get started!
Join me in my studio!
- Liquitex Gesso, White
- Liquitex Matte Gel
- Delta Ceramcoat Acrylic - Sweet Pea
- Delta Ceramcoat Acrylic - Turquoise
- Delta Ceramcoat Acrylic - Mermaid Blue
- Delta Ceramcoat Acrylic - Denim Blue
- Ranger Dina Wakley Media Heavy Body Acrylic Paints - White
- Ranger Archival Ink Pad - Jet Black
- Viva Decor Inka Gold Old Silver
- The Crafter's Workshop Stencil - Quatrefoil
- Dreamweaver Embossing Paste 4oz - Matte Black
- Donna Downey Signature Stencils - Numbers Repetitive
- Donna Downey Signature Stencils - Artist Soul
- Advantus - Tim Holtz Ideaology - Tissue Tape - Sketchbook
- Ranger - Dyan Reaveley - Dylusions Ink Sprays - White Linen
- Simply Simmons 1in Flat Wash Watercolor Brush
- Canson XL Mix Media Pad - 9" x 12"
Thanks for stopping by today! I hope you have been inspired to decorate the outside of your art journals to reflect the beautiful artwork inside. Until next time, Happy Crafting!
Don't Miss TheseView All Articles