When it comes to craft supplies with multiple uses, Faber-Castell Gelatos pack a punch. These pigment sticks are easy to use, have a creamy consistency and blend easily for a variety of applications to various surfaces. They are fabulous for mixed media projects because one pigment stick can create multiple textured effects on the same project. Let's take a more detailed look at what these pigment sticks are and how you can apply them to your next project.
There's More Than One Way To Use These Pigment Sticks
Shop this Project
Faber-Castell Gelatos are:
- Vibrant and rich in color
- Water-soluble allowing for various applications
- Acid-free and odorless
- Easily applied to paper, fabric, wood and canvas
- Easy to blend using your finger, a dauber or with a brush as a watercolor medium
Now that you know why they're so amazing, here are a few techniques to try:
- For a basic application, dry blend them with your finger. Experiment combining colors and applying on embossed or raised surfaces for a textured effect.
- Use as a watercolor medium by adding water with a brush.
- Dissolve a bit in water and use in a spray bottle.
- Apply directly to stamps and spritz your paper or stamp with water before stamping to create watercolor impressions.
- Scribble generously onto paper and spritz with water to create a drippy effect.
- Create a relief technique by using over embossing powder that has been heated with a heat tool.
- Use with stencils for unique and creative backgrounds. Apply water to your surface and press stencil down onto surface or use dry through the stencils.
- Mix into clay, gesso or other mediums for an opaque, glossy or matte texture. The finish will depend on the medium used.
These are just a few ways to use Gelatos. Experiment using the pigment sticks on different surfaces, alongside embossing folders or dies and with your favorite mediums for one-of-a-kind looks that are sure to impress! The videos below show Gelatos in action using a few of the techniques mentioned in this post. Check them out!