3 Things to Make This Week With Blitsy - Week of August 29th
How To Get A Faux-Print Look With Paint And Embossing Powder
Make Your DIY Card POP! How to Add Ink To Edges
Adding black to the edges of all your layers on a card can really help your project stand out. See how to put this card together and layer it up.
Shop this Project
This is a project where mixed media meets card making. By adding black ink to the edges of everything you can create a fun funky look while emphasizing the layers of the card.
Supply List | Shop the Post Below
- Graphic 45 ABC Primer 12" x 12" Deluxe Collector's Edition Pack BL125039
- Graphic 45 Home Sweet Home 6" x 6" Paper Pad BL125055
- Graphic 45 Deluxe Collector's Edition Pack 12" x 12" - Communique BL260936
- Dyan Reaveley Dylusions Cling Stamp Collections - Doolally Dorris BL222345
- Stamper's Anonymous Tim Holtz Cling Rubber Stamp Set - Crazy Things BL504015
- Sizzix Framelits Dies By Tim Holtz-Mini Bird Crazy & Things BL537890
- Quick Dry Fluid Chalk Ink Edger Pad-Black Coal BL125159
- Stick It! 3D Foam Tape 9mm x 5m- BL507570
- Rock-A-Blocks Stamping Block Set 4/Pkg-4"X6", 3"X4", 1.5"X6", 1"X1 BL389453
- Spectrum Noir Alcohol Markers 6 Pack - Essentials BL204793
- Corner Rounder Large Punch-10mm BL245429
- Spectrum Noir Alcohol Markers 6 Pack - Pinks BL204795
- Spectrum Noir Alcohol Markers 24 Pack - Lights BL205099
- DMC Satin Floss 8.7yd-Bright Red BL014809
- AMC Thickers Stkr Chip ABC Sprinkles Black BLAMC42889
Gather all your craft supplies, including paper , stamps and ink.
Stamp the body of the doll on multiple sheets of patterned paper.
Here are three different bodies that have been stamped and then cut out. Cut various pieces out of each and layer together for a paper pieced body.
Next stamp the head out and then cut out with scissors.
Color in the head with Spectrum Noir markers, accenting the eyes, lips, hair and skin tone.
Stamp and cut out the party hat and then layer the head and hat to the body.
Here is where you're going to really accent your piece. Cover all the edges with black ink. Don't try to be neat with this technique you want it to have an uneven edge for a more natural mixed media look.
Stamp three balloons on various patterned paper.
Cut out the balloons with the coordinating dies. When you line the dies up over the stamped images tack them down with a bit of scotch tape to hold them in place while you are running them through the die cutting machine. Otherwise they might shift in the cutting process.
Ink the edges of all your balloons.
Cut out a base for your figure to go on. Be sure to use a lighter less patterned paper so it doesn't compete with your girl. This piece is 4 x 6 and I corner rounded the edges. Ink the edges with the black ink.
Cut a base 5 x 7" and another one that is 4 1/4 x 6 1/4 . Corner round all the edges with a punch and then add black ink to all the edges.
Layer all your pieces together and glue down for the base of your card.
Attach your figure and the balloons to the front of the card. You can add foam tape to several of the balloons to give more layering to the card.
Tie off some red floss to each of the balloons and then attach them all in the girl/figures hand.
Finish off the card by cutting out a sentiment from the printed paper pad. Ink the edges with black ink and add to the card as shown. Attach your black letter "B" right over the JOLLY. Attach the finished front of the card onto a 5 x 7 plain card base that the corners have all been rounded.
Here are some close up pictures of the finished piece. Notice how the black ink really works well with this style and give it an extra pop.