How to Make Mixed Media Butterfly Wall Art
Use this lovely mixed media wall art DIY tutorial as inspiration for your next project.
Shop this Project
Hi, it's Kim Dellow here and the make I'm sharing today actually started its life as an art journal page. I had originally intended it to stay in the art journal but as I was working on it, it took on a life of its own! I thought as well as a lovely journal page it would be nice framed and put on the wall. I quite like the fact that the butterflies are three-dimensional and pop off the page so they would look fun flying on the wall, don't you think?
Here Is What You Will Need:
- Strathmore Mixed-Media Visual Journals - 5.5" x 8"
- Strathmore Mixed-Media Visual Journals - 9" x 12"
- Martha Stewart Large Double Punch-Monarch Butterfly, 1.25"X1.875"
- Ranger - Tim Holtz - Adirondack Alcohol Ink Open Stock Stream
- Ranger - Tim Holtz - Adirondack Alcohol Inks Blending Solution
- Penny Black Cling Stamp - Indian Wheel
- Tsukineko VersaMark Ink pad
- Heat tool
- WOW! Embossing Powder - Clear Gloss
- Old book pages
- Golden Regular Gloss Gel Medium - 8oz
- Vellum 8.5"X11" 12/Pkg-Clear 24lb
- Ranger - Tim Holtz Alcohol Ink Applicator Tool with Felt
Let's Make Wall Art!
Start the piece by randomly sticking some strips of torn old book page over a page in your 5.5" x 8" Strathmore journal with Golden regular gel.
Whilst the book pages are drying, cut down a piece of vellum to fit over the top of the page and use the alcohol ink felt applicator to color the vellum with Stream alcohol ink. Lighten up some areas with the Alcohol Blending solution to add a bit of texture.
Next, tear some spare paper into a strip and place the strip diagonally across the vellum. Then stamp the Penny Black background stamp over the uncovered corners with VersaMark ink and heat emboss with clear embossing powder.
Next, go back over the clear embossed texture with the Stream alcohol ink and the felt applicator to add more color around the embossing.
Use the Martha Stewart punch to punch lots of butterflies from the old book pages and fold them in half.
Stick the colored panel onto a 9" x 12" page from a Strathmore journal then add the butterflies with Golden Regular gel.
Hope you like it! If you wanted the butterflies to be more long-lasting, then try sticking the old book pages to spare card first and punching the butterflies from that instead.
Thanks for popping in.
Don't Miss TheseView All Articles