DIY Watercolor Ombre Card
Create a beautiful watercolor ombre effect on a plain die cut to add a custom embellishment to your handmade card.
Shop this Project
Spectrum Noir Sparkle Markers - Clear Overlay - Pack of 3
FREE Shipping over
Create a beautiful watercolor ombre on a plain die cut to add a custom embellishment to your creation!
Supplies You Will Need:
Kuretake Gansai Tambi Watercolors (#34 and #43 used)
Avery Elle Geek Love Stamp Set
Avery Elle Simply Said Amazing Die
I love my Gansai Tambi watercolors for several reasons. Not only are the vibrant, rich and creamy, but they come in their own individual little packs so you can pull out the colors your need for your project and put the rest away. I never seem to have room on my craft desk, so I love this space saving feature!
I heat embossed some hearts and circles from Avery Elle's Numbered Balloons and Geek Love Stamp sets onto watercolor paper. I used Ranger's Liquid Platinum embossing powder. I figured this would really pop against the soft watercolors.
I started adding some yellow first, then I added the red. I kept adding water, then colors, then I would dry it with a heat gun and repeat the process.
I also used a waterbrush to pick up some of the same red and splattered it onto the card panel.
After all of the color was added, I die cut "Amazing" three times from the same watercolor stock I used for the front panel of the card.
Using the same red color, I created an ombre effect. I used quite a bit of water to lighten the color at first, then just added more pigment with less water. The final effect is beautiful! Then I glued together all three layers of the die cuts.
I wanted to use only part of the image. So, I masked it off with a Post It note and inked it up. Then, I pulled off the Post It and stamped it.
Since part of the "y" was cut off, I used a Micron pen to draw back in what was missing.
Then, I glued the final die cut to the front of the card, underneath the sentiment that I stamped and fixed.
To give the die cut a little more pizzazz, I added some clear shimmer using a Sparkle Pen.
And, finally, I added a few sequins to the card. I used tweezers to help position them properly. Sometimes they are very static-y and hard to get a hold of.
I mounted the panel and die onto red cardstock and voila! The card was done!
Don't Miss TheseView All Articles