DIY Watercolor Card with Tim Holtz Stamps
Check out how easy it is to bring these quirky cats and dogs to life!
Shop this Project
Tim Holtz crazy stamps are always a popular choice for card makers due to the variety of silly styles and funny characters available. The mini cat and dog stamps are particularly quirky and my personal favorite. While making the card shown in the image above, I decided that instead of coloring in the stamped images with markers or pencils, I would try a watercoloring technique this time. Luckily, Tim Holtz Mini Distress Inks are perfect for such a technique. I embossed the stamped images to provide a slightly raised finish that acted as a border and resist and helped contain the different watercolors as I worked. These Tim Holtz stamps were so much fun to work with! Check out the video and steps below to make your own.
1. Stamp background using Tim Holtz stamps and clear embossing ink.
2. Sprinkle stamped images with embossing powder and tap off excess.
3. Use heat tool to set embossing powder.
4. Dab a Mini Distress Ink Pad onto an acrylic block and paint background using water and a brush. I added random brush strokes in a second color as well.
5. Stamp cat and dog on a separate piece of card stock and repeat embossing steps.
6. Paint cat and dog as you did background. Use the brush to create shadows by layering ink in one area.
7. Stamp sentiment, trim card stock and adhere to background using foam squares for added dimension.