Use this simple liquid masking technique to create an amazing background!
The Sunday Snapshot - Feb. 7, 2016
3 Things To Make This Week With Blitsy - Week of February 8th
DIY Watercolor Birthday Card
Shop this Project
- Penny Black Happy Days Stamp Set
- Gansai Tambi Watercolors
- Water Brush
- Liquid Frisket (Masking Fluid)
- Rubber Square Remover
- VersaMark Watermark ink
- My Favorite Things Terriffic Ties
- White Embossing Powder
- Clear Embossing Powder
- Heat Gun
- Black cardstock
- Chalk Square
- Clear Glue
- Spectrum Aquas (Orchid, Orange, Yellow, Kingfisher, Chestnut, Boulder, Rose Pink, Topaz, Peach)
- Clear Wink of Stella
To start off this card, I stamped a darling image from the Penny Black Happy Days set in black VersaFine ink and then heat embossed it with clear powder.
Then I used a paintbrush to paint Liquid Frisket onto the image. Liquid Frisket is a masking agent. I used a small brush to get into the small areas. Then, I set it aside to let it dry. You can use a heat gun, but it's not really recommended. It can cause the masking agent to bubble.
Once it was all dry, I painted plain water all over the cardstock and then I began adding color, using the Gansai Tambi watercolors. These watercolors are awesome! They are so bright!
I know it looks messy, but I just kept adding colors, letting it dry, then I added more colors.
Once the watercolors were 100% dry, I grabbed a Rubber Square Remover and gently rubbed away the Liquid Frisket.
You can see that the masking agent protected the image! I have a beautiful background, but a completely uncolored image.
I grabbed some black cardstock and first added some chalk to it. This will prevent the powder from sticking to places on the paper other than the ink. Then I stamped the sentiment from the MFT Terrific Ties set in VersaMark and covered it with white embossing powder.
I activated it with the heat gun. I love the way the white really pops on the black cardstock. I trimmed it down to just under an inch high.
Using a waterbrush and Spectrum Aqua Markers, I colored in the image.
I did one color at a time, using a heat gun to dry each layer, then adding more color as I went. This created shadows and highlights.
Once I was done coloring and everything was dry, I adhered it to a black card base. I then attached the sentiment strip. I trimmed it down after it was on the card so it was the correct size. Sometimes I cut things just a hair undersized by mistake, so by leaving the strip longer and then trimming it down afterwards, I don't cut anything too short!
To finish everything off, I added some clear Wink of Stella and sequins.
The finished card looks so cool - the background is so soft and the main image is so vibrant! For more tips and tricks, visit the Video Section for FREE videos in tons of categories!